An artist paints on water – level 2
Zohra Zarougui is a Tunisian artist who uses a very old style of painting called Ebru.
Ebru is from the 15th century and it comes from old Iran, Persia, and old Turkey, Ottoman Turkey. Since that time, it moved to more countries, for example, India or China, where artists used different colors and ways to make it.
Zarougui uses a pan of oily water, and she adds dyes to make beautifully colored patterns. She then takes a piece of paper or canvas and moves the pattern onto it.
Zarougui said that it was not easy to learn the style. She spent many years in another country to study Ebru, and she got a degree in it. The woman had to leave her home, because it was not possible to study Ebru in Tunisia.
Difficult words: dye (a substance which changes the color of clothes, hair, and so on), pattern repeated shapes, colors, or lines that are usually for decoration), canvas (a piece of cloth which artists use for painting).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos