Andy Murray is No. One – level 3
Andy Murray, the British tennis player, became number one in the world for the first time. This happened when his competitor, Raonic, dropped out of their match due to a leg injury and officials automatically granted Murray the title.
Murray is the first British tennis player to top the singles rankings for tennis, and at 29 years old, is the oldest person to become number one since 1974. However, he will need to continue to play well as the year-end number-one ranking proceeds. As well as this new title, he has two Olympic gold medals.
Difficult words: due to (because of), grant (give), singles (playing alone), ranking (standing), proceed (continue).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.