Angola elections – level 1
Last week, national elections happen in Angola. The MPLA party wins again.
Since 1975, MPLA is the strongest party in the government. That same year, Angola doesn’t belong to Portugal. MPLA rules for nearly 50 years without a break.
Something is different now. MPLA doesn’t have a majority in parliament. A majority is when few parties are there. MPLA must rule with them. It will not be an easy situation.
Experts think that problems can start. Young people are not happy that MPLA wins. They vote for other parties. Experts say that young people can start protests.
Difficult words: elections (the time to choose a person on people for a job in politics), party (a group of people in politics, who work together, and they have the same ideas), rule (to have power over a country and people).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos