Animals eat ice – level 3
As summer heat hits the country, animals in a South Korean zoo managed to stay cool with iced food and cold showers. With temperatures reaching 35 degrees Celsius this week at Seoul Grand Park Zoo, elephants tucked into huge ice blocks with various fruits and iced watermelons thrown into their pool.
After enjoying their iced lunch, elephants also cooled off with showers and dips in the pool to get relief from the summer heat.
Siberian tigers were even fed with iced beef liver.
Ring-tailed lemurs struggled to get into their frozen fruit, entertaining onlookers. And orangutans had fun with blocks of frozen fruit hanging off their play facilities.
Watching animals eating the ice fruit to cool down has become one of the zoo’s most popular attractions, as well as helping the residents fight off the constant heat.
Difficult words: tuck into (to eat food happily), huge (very big), dip (to go into water), struggle (to try hard).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.