Antarctica’s ice is record low – level 1
In Antarctica, there’s a problem. The ice in the sea is getting very small. This winter, it is the smallest ever.
This makes scientists worried because they think it is because of the global warming. It is bad for animals like penguins. They need the ice for their homes and babies. Also, it can make the Earth warmer because ice sends sunlight back to space.
On September 10 this year, the ice covers only 16.96 million square kilometers. That is the smallest number since 1979. In 1979, scientists start using satellites to watch the ice. The old record from 1986 has more ice, about 1 million square kilometers more.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the implications of this decrease in sea ice in Antarctica for the Earth's climate?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.