Anwar Ibrahim Speaks – level 1
Anwar Ibrahim wants to make changes in Malaysia. He goes to jail. The prime minister gets him out of jail. He asks for a royal pardon.
Ibrahim speaks at a press conference. He says thank you to the Malaysian people. He says that the people want democracy and freedom. He says that he learned the importance of freedom while in jail. He wants the Malaysian people to be free.
The prime minister says that he is going to quit in two years. This is so Ibrahim can take his job.
Difficult words: royal pardon (when a king or queen says that someone is not in trouble), press conference (when a person or people talk to the news people), democracy (a government where people have freedom and they can choose their leaders).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.