Ape Named after Luke Skywalker – level 1
There is a new gibbon in the forests in China. Its name is after Luke Skywalker. Luke Skywalker is a character in “Star Wars”.
Scientists are studying gibbons in the mountains in China. They are primates. They are a new sort of primates because they are different from other primates.
They have different colours and different markings on their faces. They also have different songs between males and females. Gibbons usually live in pairs and they sing a song to each other. Mark Hamill, the actor playing Luke Skywalker, agrees with the name.
Gibbons also have problems. People hunt them and destroy their place of living.
Difficult words: character (a person in a film), primate (an ape, a monkey), males and females (men and women), agree (say yes).
You can watch the video news in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.