Applause for Spanish Workers – level 1
Spain is a large country in southern Europe. Many people in Spain have coronavirus. The situation is very serious. Hundreds of people die every day. Doctors and emergency workers work very hard. Hospitals are full of sick people.
People in Spain must stay at home. They cannot go out for two weeks. They can go buy food and drugs. On Saturday, people in the capital city, Madrid, stand on their balconies. They applaud doctors and medical workers for their work.
Every evening, medical workers, police officers, and bus drivers meet in front of a hospital in Madrid. They applaud each other. They support each other. They pay tribute to the dead people.
Difficult words: applaud (to clap your hands), support (to agree and to help with something), tribute (when people like something or somebody and they show it officially).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos