April Fool’s Day concert – level 1
April Fool’s Day is a special day. It is on April 1. Many people in Western countries play tricks on each other.
Somebody plays tricks on people on Facebook. He invites people to a concert. The concert is in a park in Brussels, Belgium. The concert is not real.
Then, 2,000 people come to the park. It is a big problem. Only four people can meet outside in Belgium now. Police must use teargas. Three police officers and two other people are hurt. Now, officials want to know who invites people to the concert.
People are angry. They want to enjoy the warm spring weather. Many people in Belgium have the coronavirus. 23,000 people die from COVID-19 since spring last year.
Difficult words: trick (when somebody does something that other people believe is real but it is only a joke), invite (when you ask somebody to come somewhere), teargas (a special gas which hurts the eyes and police sometimes use it to make people leave).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos