Argentina grows special wheat – level 2
Farmers in Argentina are testing a special strain of wheat called HB4. It is the first genetically modified wheat.
Ukraine is one of the biggest global growers of wheat, and when Russia attacked Ukraine, the country couldn’t sell its wheat. The new strain could grow in other parts of the world, too.
Big droughts happen in many parts of the world; they inspire scientists to develop stronger plants. HB4 needs less water to grow, therefore, it can help solve the drought problems.
Some experts worry that the new strain of wheat will mix with normal wheat. They are afraid that international markets may not want the wheat, which could be a problem for Argentina.
Brazil, Nigeria, and Australia are other countries to approve the new strain of wheat.
Difficult words: strain (a specific kind of an animal or plant), genetically modified (after scientists change the smallest parts in something to make a new thing), drought (a long time without rain).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos