Art gallery in the Atlantic – level 3
Diving more than 90 feet (27 metres) below the Atlantic Ocean, you’ll find this not-so-average art gallery. This underwater exhibition has been set up in the world’s second largest artificial reef off the Florida coast. Divers installed a dozen 3 by 4.5 photo illustrations on the deck of the sunken ship General Hoyt S. Vandenberg, which rests at Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary about 7 miles south of Key West.
The once transport ship is now temporary home to the artwork of Australian art photographer Andreas Franke. Each piece is covered in Plexiglass, mounted in stainless steel frames and sealed with silicone to prevent the paintings from becoming waterlogged.
Marine life will settle on the paintings during the 4 months that they’ll be underwater, and giving them their final touch by their inspiration, the sea itself.
Difficult words: artificial (made by people), temporary (only for some time), mount (to put up), seal (to close securely), silicone (a material that chemicals and temperatures cannot affect very much), settle (to rest).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos