Artist Buys a Ship – level 1
Banksy is a street artist. He is very popular around the world. However, nobody knows his real name.
Banksy decides to buy a ship. This ship helps refugees from Africa. The ship is 100 feet long. In the past, it belongs to the French government. The ship is bright pink. People can see some of Banksy´s art on the ship, too.
The ship leaves a Spanish port on August 18. Media do not know about it. Now, the ship is in the Mediterranean sea. It saves African people. In three weeks, the ship saves almost 200 people.
10 women are in the crew. There are no men. All the women have a lot of experience. They want to help all people. It is not important who the people are. It is not important where they come from.
Difficult words: refugee (a person who runs away from a country because there is a war or a bad situation), crew (all the people who work on a ship or plane), experience (when somebody knows how to do something because he does it before).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.