Asteroid with Rings – level 2
A giant asteroid surprised scientists who discovered that it had rings.
The asteroid is 250 kilometres wide. It is the smallest known object to have such rings. People used to think that rings are only around big planets like Saturn or Neptune.
The scientists noticed the rings when the asteroid moved in front of the star. It cast a shadow over South America. We don’t know how the rings are formed. One theory says that the rings are made up of ice, small stones and other debris.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.