Athletes have problems to get to Tokyo – level 2
The Tokyo 2020 The Olympics are starting in less than three weeks, and athletes are having problems to get to the city.
Normally, it would not be a problem to get 11,000 athletes from more than 200 countries to Tokyo. In many countries, COVID-19 cases are rising again, and some cities do not let people travel through. All athletes must be fully vaccinated, but some athletes already tested positive for COVID-19. Now, it is not clear if they will go to Tokyo or not.
Some athletes are not happy because they could not train in Tokyo, which is something that athletes usually do. They usually train in the city of the Olympics. They also had problems to get to the qualifying events because it was not possible to travel from one country to another.
Difficult words: train (to get ready for a match or game), qualifying event (a sporting event for athletes where they can officially make it possible to compete at another event if they have the right skills).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.