Auschwitz – level 1
This news is about Auschwitz. It was a concentration camp. A concentration camp is a place where people die. Other people kill them.
The Nazis built Auschwitz in 1940. The camp is in Poland. More than a million people died in Auschwitz. Most of the people were Jews. The Soviet army freed the camp in 1945. You can visit the camp now. Thousands of people visit it every year. People filmed a video of the camp. You can see the video in the Level 3 section. It shows the camp from the air. It is really big.
Difficult words: was/were (past of is/are), freed (past of “free” – to make somebody or something free).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are there any functioning concentration camps in the world?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.