Awkwafina at the Golden Globes – level 1
Actress Awkwafina acts in some famous movies. These are movies like “Crazy Rich Asians” and “Ocean’s 8.”
On Sunday, she wins a Golden Globe award. It is for lead actress in the movie “The Farewell.” This is important. She is the first woman of Asian descent to win this award.
A movie organization says that “The Farewell” is a comedy. It is also Awkafina’s first dramatic movie. The movie cannot win an award for the best comedy. The characters speak mostly Mandarin in the movie instead of English.
Difficult words: lead (an important job), descent (where your family comes from in the world), dramatic (serious, sometimes sad).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos