Baby hears for the first time – level 3
It’s enough to bring tears to any eye – this is the moment a baby hears his mother’s voice for the first time. Little Elijah Cook smiled when he heard his mum’s voice after he was fitted with his very first pair of hearing aids, aged nine weeks.
The touching moment was uploaded by his mother onto YouTube and has since become a viral sensation clocking up over a million views.
Elijah was born on the 2nd January and failed all his newborn hearing tests. He was then referred to a special program at a children’s hospital in Minneapolis and fitted with hearing aids.
Since having his aid fitted, Elijah has been cooing regularly at his family. This, of course, has been music to his mother’s ears.
Difficult words: fit (install/fix something into place), hearing aid (a thing in the ear which helps people hear), touching (to make you feel something), viral (spreading fast), sensation (something very popular), clock up (to reach a particular number), coo (to make small sounds), music to a person’s ears (it sounds very nice to that person).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.