Bad weather in China – level 1
The weather is very bad in southern China. There are floods there. They kill around 45 people. Nearly 9,300 houses fall down. Another 63,000 homes receive damage.
A landslide hits parts of southern China. Around 10 people die. It injures nineteen people. It destroys nine cars. Mud covers a busy road. Some people must go to hospital.
All of this is very bad. However, the situation might be even worse. A typhoon is coming. People get ready for it.
Difficult words: flood (big water), landslide (when a lot of dirt falls down on top of something), might (can), typhoon (dangerous tropical storm).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What the weather in your country like?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.