Bad weather in China – level 2
A landslide hit parts of southern China. It killed at least 10 people and injured 19. It crushed nine vehicles. Dirt and dust covered a busy highway. Those injured went to a local hospital.
Over the past week, flooding and landslides killed 45 people in southern China. Nearly 9,300 houses collapsed in the rains. Another 63,000 homes received damage.
Also, Typhoon Rammasun is approaching the region. Rammasun struck the Philippines last week with winds of up to 90 miles per hour (145 kilometres per hour).
Difficult words: collapse (fall down), damage (have problems), approach (come), strike (hit).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What the weather in your country like?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.