Baltic countries are scared of Russia – level 1
The Baltic countries are three small countries between Russia and Belarus. They are Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. These countries are a part of the Soviet Union in the past.
The Soviet Union has a lot of power in the 20th century. 15 countries belong to the Soviet Union. For example, they are Russia, Ukraine and Belarus.
The Soviet Union falls apart in 1991. Later, Russia wants some countries again. For example, Russia occupies Crimea in 2014. Now Russia attacks Ukraine.
The Baltic countries worry that Russia will attack them, too. It is a different situation. They belong to the EU and NATO. Other NATO members will help them.
Difficult words: fall apart (to break into small things), occupy (to control something), member (a person or thing which is a part of a group of more similar persons or things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos