Barbados becomes a republic – level 1
Barbados is a Caribbean island. Last week, it becomes a republic. In the past, Barbados is a British colony. The history of the island is about 400 years.
200 years ago, the island is very important. It is the center of slave trade. Slave trade is the time when people from North America and Europe bring people as slaves. Slaves are usually Black people from Africa. They must work for white people. In 1843, the slave trade ends in Barbados.
Since 1966, Barbados is not under the control of Britain. Still Queen Elizabeth is the official leader. This changes last week. Dame Sandra Mason becomes the first president of Barbados.
Britan’s Prince Charles is at the ceremony. He says that he is sorry for what happens in the past.
Difficult words: republic (a country with a president as the leader), colony (a country which is under the control of another country, and people from the other country come to live there), ceremony (a formal event when people celebrate something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.