Barbies and Gender – level 2
Mattel created the Barbie doll in 1959. Over the years, it has changed styles, but its body shape was too perfect. People said that Mattel pushed an unrealistic beauty standard.
However, now Mattel has new and very different dolls. Kids can choose their doll’s gender, hair color, skin color, clothing, and accessories. They can choose how masculine or feminine their doll is.
Mattel also changed Ken, Barbie’s boyfriend, and created a doll with a fake leg and a doll in a wheelchair.
Difficult words: beauty standard (what people think is beautiful), gender (male/man, female/woman, or something else), masculine or feminine (how much like a man or a woman something or someone is).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos