Beached whales in New Zealand – level 1
This news is about whales. These whales live in New Zealand’s waters. They are very common there.
Some of these whales have a problem. They get stuck in shallow waters. They cannot move. There are around 200 of them.
People try to help them. It is not easy. They save one hundred animals. Twenty-five of the whales die.
Difficult words: common (there are a lot of them), stuck (to not be able to leave a place), shallow (not deep or when there is only a little water).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Why do get whales get beached?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos