Beached whales in New Zealand – level 2
Around 200 Pilot Whales beached themselves on the South Island of New Zealand. Around 25 animals already died.
Rescuers and volunteers are doing everything that they can to help the whales. People moved around a half of the whales into deeper waters. Whale beachings are common, but this group is very large.
Pilot Whales grow up to 6 metres long and are the most common species of whale in New Zealand’s waters.
Difficult words: beach (to be unable to move off of a beach), volunteer (a person who does something without being paid for it), species (a type of animal).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Why do get whales get beached?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos