Big Ben must be repaired – level 1
This news is from England. It is about Big Ben. Big Ben is in London. It is 156 years old.
Big Ben needs repairs. This can cost up to 40 million pounds. The repairs can take four months.
At the bottom of the tower, there will be a visitor centre. There will be a lift, too.
Difficult words: repair (to make something nice again), repairs (work to fix something), will (“in the future”).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about Big Ben?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.