Big event in North Korea – level 1
Kim Jong Un is the leader of North Korea. His grandfather was Kim Il Sung. The grandfather died twenty years ago. North Koreans celebrate the anniversary of his death.
Kim Jong Un is at the event. He walks on stage with a limp. We don’t know why.
North Koreans highly control the media. Kim Il Sung had a growth on his neck. People filmed him, but no one could see the growth. They filmed him only from some angles.
Difficult words: anniversary (date on which something special happened in the past), limp (he cannot walk easily), growth (formation of the body which is not normal), angle (the direction from which you look at something).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Is North Korea a danger to the world?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.