Big fire in Melbourne – level 2
In Melbourne, 150,000 tyres went up in flames. People could see the black smoke for miles. Authorities evacuated workers from the nearby industrial area.
The Metropolitan Fire Brigade deployed many fire trucks with more than 100 fire fighters. The brigade also called in helicopters with fire retardant.
People are investigating the cause of the fire, but it does not seem that a person wanted to start the fire.
Difficult words: tyre (a rubber covering placed around a wheel), deploy (to move into position), retardant (something which stops other things).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think started the fire?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos