Big ships are in trouble – level 1
Shipping company Maersk has problems in Europe. There are many winter storms. Ports are closing terminals. There are too many ships and too much stuff.
Houthis attack ships in the Red Sea. Ships must find another way. They take longer routes around Africa. Maersk expects more troubles in Europe thanks to all of this. Problems in the Red Sea will last a few months.
Maersk starts sending goods by air from Oman and the UAE. It is faster. But this brings new challenges for companies. The price of transport will get higher and higher.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What challenges might companies face when using air transport as an alternative to shipping by sea due to winter storms and port closures in Europe, according to the article?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.