Birch sap – level 2
Birch sap is the juice inside a birch tree. Many people believe that it is very healthy and they tap birch trees to get the sap.
The sap is clear and it has no color. When people drink it fresh, it tastes sweet, but after two or three days, it starts to get sour. The reason is that the sugar in the sap turns into alcohol.
People in Latvia started to use a special app. They tap a birch and the app sends them a message when it is time to collect the sap.
Scientists say that birch sap is not as healthy as people think. Many people today drink the sap because their grandparents and parents did it. Often, they used the same tree.
Difficult words: birch (a tree with smooth and often white bark), tap (to get water or other liquid from somewhere), collect (to bring together).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos