Black Bears Scare Tourists – level 3
A black bear and her three cubs chased a group of petrified tourists on a bridge in Yellowstone National Park, which has the black bear as its symbol.
A video showed the bear bounding along the bridge with her cubs keeping up as the tourists tried to keep a safe distance, yelling, ‘Go, go!’ while some people on the bridge kept taking photographs, even as the bear veered in their direction.
Bears are highly protective of their cubs and will attack if they feel threatened. People were not always as cautious of bears in the park – from the 1910 to the 1960s, Yellowstone Park managers allowed visitors to feed the black bears along the roads.
Difficult words: cub (a young bear), petrified (very scared), bound (walk or run with big steps), veer (change direction suddenly), threatened (in danger), cautious (careful).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this article?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos