Black Friday protests – level 1
Black Friday is a special day. It is the first day for the Christmas shopping season. Many shops sell things at lower prices.
In the UK, people protest in front of Amazon warehouses. Amazon is a company in many countries. It sells books, movies, toys, and many other things.
Amazon makes three times more money during the coronavirus than the year before. Sadly, some people say that the situation for Amazon workers is bad. They work long hours. They have short breaks. Their bosses watch them all the time. Another problem is that Amazon’s business is not fair to other smaller companies.
On Black Friday, protesters block roads to Amazon’s warehouses.
Difficult words: protest (to show or say you do not like something), warehouse (a large building where a company keeps things before it sells them), block (to stop from going through).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos