Black History Month – level 2
Each February, the USA celebrates Black History Month. This February, the White House hosted events to celebrate African Americans.
In 2014, a 106-year-old African American woman wrote to the White House and said that she would love to meet Obama and his family. He heard her request.
The old woman, who is from South Carolina, lived through segregation and the civil rights movement. She waited 100 years to meet the first black president of the USA.
She was really happy when her dream came true. She even started dancing with the Obamas in the White House.
Difficult words: request (a wish), segregation (the situation in the USA when black people could not be together with white people), civil rights movement (a movement/protest for freedom and rights).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this woman’s visit?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.