BMW’s boss falls on stage – level 3
BMW was forced to bring it’s showpiece to an abrupt halt this morning after its CEO collapsed on stage at the International Frankfurt Motor Show.
Harald Krueger was making his first major appearance since he was appointed as the car company’s boss in May. After collapsing just after 5 minutes into his speech, two assistants helped Krueger to his feet and escorted him off stage.
The company’s press conference was cancelled, so Mr Krueger could be checked by a doctor. A representative for BMW says the 49-year-old had suffered a moment of dizziness but is now stable and recovering well in hospital.
He is not expected to return to the show.
Difficult words: showpiece (something good which a company wants to show to people), abrupt (sudden), halt (stop), CEO (chief executive officer – the top-ranking person in a business), dizziness (being dizzy – losing one’s balance).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.