Bond’s Day of the Dead – level 3
This year of Mexico’s traditional Day of the Dead was given a new twist, as the parade was inspired by James Bond’s “Spectre”.
The government called the parade part of a new multifaceted campaign aiming to bring more tourists to Mexico during the holiday. As tens of thousands of people crowded to watch the skeletons, traditional dancers, and musical groups, it seems to have worked.
Fused with the Catholic festivals of All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day, the Day of the Dead is one of the most deep-rooted traditions in Mexico. Millions celebrate it, and they traditionally set up altars with photographs of the dead, gather at their loved ones’ gravesides, drink, sing and talk to the dead.
Difficult words: twist (change, a version), multifaceted (having many different aspects), fused (connected, joint together), deep-rooted (very old and very important to the people), graveside (the ground around a grave).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos