Bottles become sand – level 2
Franziska Trautman and her friend knew nothing about recycling. They knew that the coastline eroded in Louisiana, US, and they created an idea to improve the situation.
They thought that they could recycle glass and turn it into sand, but they learned that no places in Louisiana recycled glass. All the glass ended up in landfills. The two young people raised money, and they bought the first recycling machine in the state.
The machine crushes the glass and removes pieces of metal, paper, and plastics. A mixture of glass, sand, and very small stones comes from the machine. People can use the mixture for sandbags, floors, or to help the coast.
Franziska said that people used too much sand, and they used it faster than nature could create it.
Difficult words: recycle (to make new things from something that people put in the trash), erode (to be destroyed slowly), landfill (a deep hole where people throw things that they don’t need anymore).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos