Boy sleepwalks into the woods – level 3
A toddler is recovering in hospital in Poland after he was found unconscious in the woods in freezing temperatures.
The two-year-old boy, whose name is Adam, was found face down in a pile of leaves next to a creek, only wearing socks and a pyjama top.
The boy’s body temperature had fallen to 12°C when he arrived in hospital, and his heart was beating once every few dozen seconds, but luckily, doctors expect him make a full recovery.
“The boy has woken up from a coma. He’s been awake since yesterday evening. We’ve managed to establish intellectual contact with him, contact you can have with a two-year-old boy. There is contact with him. He’s a smart kid. I have full courage to call it a miracle. Nobody will take it away from me, but the experts can argue on that. To me, it is a miracle.”
It’s thought the child was sleepwalking and left his grandmother’s house between the hours of 3 and 5 am and wandered into the woods where temperatures had dropped to -7 degrees overnight.
Difficult words: toddler (a young child who is just beginning to walk and talk), unconscious (not awake), pile (a large amount), creek (a narrow river), coma (when the body goes into a type of sleep that it cannot wake up from for a long time), establish (to have), courage (bravery), miracle (when something very good and not explained happens), wander (to move without a reason to go somewhere).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.