Bradley Cooper’s nose – level 2
The makeup artist for Bradley Cooper’s film ‘Maestro’ apologized for using a fake nose for the lead character.
Leonard Bernstein, a famous American conductor and composer, had very special looks, and people could easily recognize him. He was the son of Jewish immigrants to the US. When the trailer came out, some people thought that it supported stereotypes about Jewish people. But even Bernstein’s children said that their father had a special nose. The makeup artist Kazu Hiro was surprised by the reaction and apologized for hurting some people. He explained that their goal was to make Bernstein look as real as possible.
The movie focuses on Bernstein’s life and relationships and it will be on Netflix from Dec. 20.
Difficult words: conductor (a person who directs an orchestra), trailer (extracts from a film which people can see before they see the film itself), stereotype (what people generally think about a person or thing).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What challenges did the makeup artist face when trying to make the lead character look as real as possible?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.