Brazilian Prison Massacre – level 3
A riot in a jail in Brazil’s Amazonas state broke out and lasted overnight. People think that rival gangs are behind the violence as they try to gain control of several prisons.
Police attended the scene with reports saying that some inmates had been beheaded and dismembered. At least 60 inmates died.
Police found a hole in a prison wall to smuggle weapons inside.
Difficult words: inmate (a prisoner), dismember (cut into pieces), smuggle (bring something without people knowing about it).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos