Brazilian woman in danger – level 3
In a dramatic rescue, Brazilian police have saved a woman who was held hostage at knife-point.
A man grabbed a woman outside the government headquarters in the capital city of Brasilia and held two large knives to her throat. He was using a parked car to protect his back.
Shocking pictures from a Brazilian TV station show the man threatening the woman with knives, as police move in on him.
Police negotiators can be seen trying to talk the man down, when suddenly police open fire, hitting him with rubber bullets.
The hostage escaped and she was taken to hospital. Luckily, she was unharmed.
The suspect was taken immediately into police custody.
Police said that before he had taken the woman hostage, the man was trying to get into government headquarters.
Difficult words: grab (take roughly), headquarters (main official building), move in on (take action), negotiator (a person who talks to somebody and makes them do something) talk down (calm somebody and make him change his mind by talking to him).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.