Britain’s Post Office scandal – level 2
The Post Office IT scandal in the UK is about the unfair prosecution of thousands of post office operators between 1999 and 2015.
Rishi Sunak, the British prime minister, recently described the scandal as the biggest mistake of justice. The Horizon IT system, installed by Fujitsu, falsely showed cash shortfalls in post office branches. This affected thousands of people who were in charge of small post offices. Thanks to bad management, the situation lasted longer than it should.
A recent TV drama ‘Mr Bates vs the Post Office’ brought attention to the scandal again, and Sunak promised to compensate affected people.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What recent event has brought renewed attention to the Post Office IT scandal in the UK, and what is the promised solution for those affected?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.