Burkini in France – level 1
The word “burkini” is from the words “burka” and “bikini.” It is a swimsuit for women. Muslim women wear it. It covers their body. Only their face, hands and feet are not covered.
Some people have a problem with the burkini. In 2009, people banned a woman from a swimming pool in Paris. Now, some French resorts are banning the burkini, too. The French Prime Minister is also against the burkini.
Other people are OK with it. They say that the ban is an infringement of rights. Critics say that the ban could make some Islamic terrorists angry.
Difficult words: ban (make something illegal), resort (a place popular with tourists), infringement of rights (a limitation of what a person can do).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos