Buy a village in England – level 2
If you’ve got 20 million pounds and want to have your own village, well, you’ve finally got your chance. A 21-bedroom mansion house, 8.6 square kilometres of land, 43 houses and cottages, a village pub and restaurant and a petrol station – all of it can be yours.
People are renting all of the houses and they hope that the next owner will not raise the rents.
One family owned the village in North Yorkshire for the last 150 years. The last owner died in 2010 and had no heir. Many people from the UK, as well as abroad, are already interested in buying the village.
Difficult words: mansion house (a landowner’s large house), cottage (a small house, typically one in the country), heir (the person next in line).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos