California Highway Collapses – level 1
A winter storm is in California, US. Heavy rain and snow bring a lot of water.
Drainage pipes cannot take all the water to the ground. Some water flows onto a highway. Water damages the highway. The road collapses into the ocean. No cars are on the road when it collapses. Nobody has an injury.
Officials close the highway. An emergency is in two parts of California. Thousands of people must leave their homes. It is not safe to stay at home.
Accidents can happen on roads which are on a coast. The sea brings strong winds and water. Hills can fall. Officials know it. But it is not possible to change it.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.