Canary Islands fires – level 1
La Palma is a town in the Canary Islands. Over 4,000 must leave La Palma. There is a big forest fire.
The fire destroys 4,500 hectares of land and many homes. Other nearby islands are at risk, too. Authorities say that the fire can spread to Tenerife or Gran Canaria.
Southern Europe has extreme heat right now. The highest temperature ever is 48.8. degrees Celsius in Sicily, Italy. Experts say that this summer can be even hotter.
The US also has extreme heat and big fires. Japan has a dangerous heatwave too, with temperatures above normal. The climate is changing. The weather is becoming more extreme.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What other effects are climate change having on the world?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.