Car Ban in Madrid – level 3
Madrid placed a ban on privately owned cars in the city to reduce the raising air pollution.
Restriction will alter between even and odd numbered license plates until the level of pollution drops.
Madrid has been unusually warm for this part of the year, which resulted in nitrogen oxygen levels increasing. The poisonous gas levels are currently above European limits. The city restricted speed limits on Madrid´s roads to 43 mph to reduce emissions.
Madrid has almost 4 million cars, one for every two people, plus almost 1 million trucks.
London introduced pollution measure 10 years ago, while Paris made the city center available for pedestrians only.
Difficult words: ban (a restriction, a prohibition), even (numbers 2, 4, 6, 8…), odd (numbers 1, 3, 5, 7…).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.