Car hits an old man in China – level 3
The moment a crowd of people lifted a car in order to rescue an old man who was stuck under it in China.
Video footage shows the elderly man being knocked off his bicycle and run over by the car, as he attempted to cross the road in eastern China’s Anhui Province, on Wednesday morning.
Police and passers-by crowded round the car and together helped lift it so they could pull the man out.
“I saw the accident happen just two meters away from a zebra crossing. When I got to him, I found that he was trapped under the car. I alerted the businessmen nearby and the passing taxi drivers, who took the initiative to stop. Together, we lifted the car and helped the elderly man out.”
The elderly man was taken to hospital and is in a stable condition.
The cause of the accident is under investigation.
Difficult words: run over (to knock a person or animal down and pass over their body), zebra crossing (a crosswalk), take the initiative (decide to do something).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.