Cathedral Works – level 1
Notre-Dame is cathedral in Paris, France. For many people, it represents the city and the country.
Workers start to renovate the cathedral in 2019. They build a scaffolding around it. The roof of Notre-Dame catches fire in April 2019. The fire is very big. Hundreds of firefighters try to stop it. The cathedral burns for 15 hours. 200 tons of scaffolding melt. The scaffolding holds the building together.
Workers must take the scaffolding away. It is very dangerous. Workers worry that the cathedral will fall down. But it does not happen. Workers can continue to renovate the cathedral. The French government plans to finish the works in spring 2024.
Difficult words: cathedral (a very large church), renovate (to repair something and make it look new), scaffolding (a metal construction that workers walk on when they build or repair a building), melt (when something becomes liquid because it gets hot).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.