Chanel No. 5 – level 1
In 1921, French-Russian scientist and perfumer makes Chanel No. 5. His name is Ernest Beaux. Chanel No. 5 is the first perfume by Gabriele ´Coco´ Chanel.
Chanel No. 5 is one of the most popular perfumes. Its bottle and formula change very little since 1921.
Jasmine is in Chanel No. 5. It is the most important part of the perfume. Farmers in France grow flowers for perfumes since the 17th century.
Then it changes in the 1980s. Some farmers sell their land. Other countries grow flowers for perfumes. It is not good news for Chanel. Chanel needs a lot of flowers.
Chanel does business with the Mul family. They grow jasmine for Chanel. They still do it today. Chanel has enough jasmine for its perfumes.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.