Change for Kashmir – level 1
Kashmir is a region in the Himalayan mountains. Both India and Pakistan say that it is their territory. They argue about the region. They even have three wars over Kashmir.
India has special laws for Kashmir. The laws make Kashmir autonomous. Kashmir is like this for 70 years.
On Monday 5th, this ends. India wants to control the region. Thousands of soldiers go to Kashmir. Tourists evacuate. The Internet stops there.
Pakistan is not happy about this. The country says that it is going to push against India.
Difficult words: region (a place), autonomous (free from another country), evacuate (move to a safer place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos