Chaplin’s World in Switzerland – level 1
Charlie Chaplin is born in London. He has a wife and eight children. They live in the USA. In the 1950s, they must leave. It is the McCarthy era and people say that he likes communism.
They all go to Switzerland. Chaplin lives there for 25 years. He dies on Christmas Day in 1977. He is 88.
People plan a museum. It takes them 15 years. Finally, the museum opens. Its name is “Chaplin’s World”.
The museum is Chaplin’s old home. The museum shows the life and work of Charlie Chaplin. There are images and 30 wax figures. Two of the wax figures are Albert Einstein and Michael Jackson.
Difficult words: era (an age, a time), communism (a type of government that is different than the American government), wax figure (a model of a person; wax is the material of the model).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.